Journalist Nina Funnell’s #LetHerSpeak campaign, which aims to amend the laws that prevent sexual assault survivors from telling their stories, has made a major impact.
In July, the Northern Territory introduced laws that allow sexual assault victims to speak to the media, using their real names, without the risk of prosecution. Prior to this reform, both survivors and journalists faced jail for identifying victims.
“I’m so pleased Lavinia is finally able to tell her story on her own terms,” Funnell said.
“These investigations take months to pull together and require extensive resources. I’m so grateful to the Judith Neilson Institute for directly supporting that investigation and everything that went into it.”
“Not only was it a front page, exclusive story, but the investigation cut new ground with Lavinia becoming the first person ever in the NT to be able to self-identify as a rape survivor under the new legislation.”
Funnell wins Walkley Award
Nina Funnell received the Walkley Award for Public Service Journalism for her #LetHerSpeak/#LetUsSpeak campaigns and her reporting led Victoria to scrap its sexual assault gag laws.
Thanks @JN_Institute & @walkleys for supporting this work via 2 Freelance grants, + Kerry & Lori from @newscomauHQ + campaign partners: @marquelawyers @EROCAustralia @RapeReform 🙂 https://t.co/M8h5Bss4Gh
— Nina Funnell, Journalist & creator of #LetHerSpeak (@ninafunnell) November 20, 2020
Read the stories
Take a look at some of the stories from Nina Funnell’s #LetHerSpeak campaign.
- Rape survivor breaks silence after NT gag law reform
- Lavinia Duga, sexual assault survivor, in her own words
- Northern Territory law reform divides survivors
- Clergy abuse survivor Phil Nagle no longer gagged under Victorian laws
- Attorney-General sent sexual assault victims insulting letter
- Victoria sexual assault gag law could see rape victims jailed
- Victorian Government makes legal change for sexual assault survivors after #LetUsSpeak campaign
- Gerald Ridsdale, Ballarat survivors gagged under new laws
- Man sexually assaults, rapes girl, 13, after camping trip | Exclusive
- “Outrageous” demand Victorian courts are making of rape victim