Media organisations are invited to apply for financial support for freelancers and casual contributors to undertake specific projects.
Two early casualties of media cost-cutting caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have been freelancers and casual contributors. To address this the Judith Neilson Institute has created a fund to support these journalists and provide some cost-relief to media organisations.
Media organisations are invited to apply for financial support for freelancers and casual contributors to undertake specific projects. This might be one story, or a series of stories, or it might be editorial support, or a photography assignment. There is no limitation on topics. All media organisations, including independent and regional media are encouraged to apply.
Applications must meet the following criteria:
– The application must be for a freelancer or casual contributor, not permanent staff.
– Media organisations will be required to acquit the grant, including by providing valid invoices from freelancers or casual contributors.
– The application must be for a specific project or task. There is no limitation on topics.
– The grant is intended to support reporting, including editorial work and photography.
– Applications will only be accepted from Australian media organisations, not from freelancers or casual contributors directly.
Funding will be administered and distributed on a rolling basis.
It will not be possible to meet every request. JNI’s goal is to provide support across as much of the industry as possible and to keep the funding going for 2-3 months. Media organisations are therefore encouraged to keep applications specific, sustainable, well-targeted and focused on immediate needs.
Our intention is not to exhaust the fund in the first week. Media organisations will be permitted to apply for further funding over coming weeks.
To apply, media organisations should address the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “JNI support for freelancers and casual contributors.”
– A brief overview of the proposed project. If more than one project, list them in order of priority.
– Explain the type of content that will be produced.
– Provide an overview of the proposed duration of the project.
– The requested amount.
Please include your contact details, and the name and contact details of the freelancers or casual contributors.
For further enquiries email email@example.com.